Crosswynds Miniature Poodles

Foods You Should Never Feed Your Dog.

Onions, Garlic, Shallots and Leeks.

There’s no denying the health benefits of these vegetables for humans. 

Take garlic, for instance—not only can it improve your iron metabolismit can lower blood pressure and reduce the risk of heart disease. 

 Onions, meanwhile, are an excellent source of vitamin C and flavonoids that can help reduce the risk of heart disease and stroke.

However, these foods aren’t so healthy for animals. 

In fact, they can cause anemia, kidney damage, upset stomach, and general weakness.

While cooked versions of these veggies are harmful, they’re even more dangerous to your pets when consumed raw.

 

Chocolate

There are few food items more beloved by humans than chocolate.

As of 2014, the global chocolate industry was worth $80 billion, with demand expected to rise 30-percent by 2020.

It’s the taste of chocolate that draws humans to it.

And most animals love the taste, too, but that’s where things get dangerous for our furry friends. T

he problem lies in the cocoa beans in chocolate. 

They contain a substance called theobromine, a chemical that’s often toxic to small animals, like dogs. 

 

Grapes and Raisins.

These sweet and delicious natural treats are a major favorite for humans, but they pose a huge health hazard to dogs and cats

While felines tend to avoid these food items, dogs have been known to eat them.

If ingested, raisins and grapes can cause vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, dehydration, and weakness.

 In extreme cases consuming grapes or raisins could lead to anuria

(the total inability to urinate), oliguria (difficulty urinating) or kidney failure.

That means you should keep them well out of reach!

 

Macadamia Nuts.

Macadamia nuts are hardly the most popular nut,

but they’re key ingredients in some beloved recipeslike white chocolate and macadamia nut cookies. 

And while white chocolate poses no health threat to dogs, macadamia nuts are dangerous.

Although cats won’t be in danger if they eat these nuts, dogs can experience severe

vomiting, weakness, muscle tremors, even depression. 

The good news is that most dogs can recover from ingesting macadamia nuts,

though many will need treatmentwhich may include intravenous fluids

and anti-fever medications from a veterinarian.

 

Sugar Free Gum.

Most of us love chewing gum, which tastes great and can help freshen our breath and

avoid snacking when we don’t really need to.

 But many sugar-free gums contain xylitol, a natural sweetener.

It’s perfectly safe for humans to consume, but very dangerous to dogs.

If ingested, sugar-free gum can cause dogs to feel weak, vomit,

even collapse and go into seizures.

 If a dog consumes enough sugar-free gum, he or she could go into a coma or die. 

That’s why it’s important to contact a veterinarian

or pet poison helpline immediately if you think your dog has eaten sugar-free gum.

 
Fruit Pits.
 
We all know to avoid eating the pits when consuming our favorite fruits, but most dogs won’t make that call.
 
And there are two reasons this is extremely hazardous for our furry friends.
 
First, apple seeds, cherry pits, peach pits, and plum pits all contain cyanide, a toxin that’s very poisonous to dogs. 
 
Second, larger pits and seeds—like those in peaches and plums—can block the airways or intestines in pets, 
 
causing severe pain and preventing healthy digestion.
 
If you think your animal has consumed a fruit pit, contact your vet immediately.
 
 
Avocados.
 
Avocados are filled with healthy fats and protein, which make them a great addition to any sandwich or smoothie. 
 
But they’re dangerous for many animals, some of which are often kept as pets.
 
The good news is that avocados won’t do much to harm a cat or dog (aside from an upset stomach). 
 
But they’re highly toxic to other animals—including horses, goats, cattle, and birds.
 
That’s because they contain a toxin called persin.
 
For more information about persin and the dangers of avocados, contact your veterinarian.
 
 
Bacon
 
We know, we know… bacon is so delicious, you can’t help yourself from sneaking
 
a bit of it to your pooch under the breakfast table.
 
 However, bacon is not a friend of your dog’s pancreas,
 
according to Good Housekeeping.it says the high fat content of bacon
 
can lead to pancreatitis in dogs, 
 
which caused inflammation and improper function of the important organ. 
 
The pancreas not only produces enzymes needed for food production,
 
but also for insulin, which controls blood sugar levels.
 
 
 
Acetaminophen (Tylenol)
 
Many of us reach for acetaminophen, or Tylenol, when we get a nasty headache or muscle ache.
 
But it can be very hazardous to animals, whose bodies aren’t meant to handle the drug. 
 
In fact, a dog that consumes an excessive amount of Tylenol—
 
typically by breaking into the medicine cabinet,or example—
 
can experience irreversible liver damage.Symptoms of acetaminophen poisoning in pets
 
include labored breathing, swollen face, jaundice, vomiting, and coma.
 
Be sure to contact your vet if your animal displays any of these symptoms
 
 
 
Aspirin.
 
Like Tylenol, Aspirin can help humans get over a nasty headache or muscle pain. 
 
But Aspirin can be very hazardous to dogs, whose bodies just can’t handle the drug properly.
 
In fact, puppies can’t handle any Aspirin whatsoever.
 
There are several symptoms if a dog consumes too much Aspirin, including stomach upset.
 
 Long-term exposure to Aspirin could cause stomach ulcers, blood thinning, and irreversible kidney damage.
 
 So keep that medicine cabinet firmly closed or even locked if you have pets in the house.
 
 
 

Marijuana.

 

With medical marijuana becoming far more available than ever before more people have it in their homes.

And while cannabis argueably can play an effective role in alleviating pain in humans,

 it poses a serious danger to our animals.

In fact, a dog that consumes marijuana can experience serious long-term health consequences, including death. 

An animal that consumes a dangerous amount of cannabis will appear anxious, dehydrates, and lethargic. 

They may also drool or vomit and diarrhea can occur. If you think your animal has consumed cannabis, 

contact your vet immediately.

 

 

 
 


                            

 Home    Our Story    Poodle History    The Poodle Breed Standard 

 Our Boys    Our Girls    Our Princess    Our Dogs Past and Present 

 Past Champions    Puppies    Rehome Older Dogs    Need Information 

 Advantages of Desexing    About Browns    Poodle Facts    Are Poodles Hypoallergenic? 

 Poodle Duck Retrieving and Agility.    Poodle grooming video    What is PRA?    Pure Breeds vs Designer Dogs (X Breeds)    Foods You Should Never Feed Your Dog.    Household items that are poisonous.    The Risks Of Feeding A Dog Raw Chicken.    Dogs Safety In Cars.    New Pet Laws in NSW for High Rise living    Links to other Websites    Interesting Dog e-books    Testimonials    Our Visitors Guest Book 


Contact Details
Margaret Goodfellow & Tracy Hood
Sydney, NSW, Australia
Email : [email protected]

 

Web Graphics by Shawna

All Content Copyright

Dogz Online - Dogs, Breeders, Puppies